The Hart House University of Toronto Drama Festival is a competitive festival intended to provide an encouraging platform for the development of student talents, promotion of creativity and the recognition of excellence in theatrical performance and production. The festival provides an opportunity for U of T students from all campuses to compete for fun and adjudicated awards.
The Hart House University of Toronto Drama Festival has spawned numerous performers who have gone on to become stars of stage and screen: Ted Follows, David Gardner, Don Harron, Arthur Hiller, William Hutt and Donald Sutherland – to name a few. Over 80 years since its inception in 1936, and since Trevor Rines resurrected it in 1993, the Hart House U of T Drama Festival has provided a high profile showcase for up-and-coming theatrical talent and an accessible avenue for U of T students to perform and direct on the historic Hart House Theatre stage.
The Saturday evening concludes with a public Awards Ceremony where participants are recognized for their outstanding contributions.
- In Person Sales:Hart House HUB Main Information Desk, or the theatre’s ticket window prior to curtain
- Group SalesGroup rates are available (for select events) by phone/in person for groups of 8 or more for the same performance.
- PhoneCall 416-978-2452. You will be required to provide your credit card number and postal code.
- OnlineClick on preferred date listed below
- Tue Feb 27 Hart House TheatreWed Feb 28 Hart House TheatreThu Feb 29 Hart House TheatreFri Mar 01 Hart House TheatreSat Mar 02 Hart House Theatre
About the Adjudicator
Life is But A DreamIndependent Submission
in two parts881 Drama Club
881 High SchoolIndependent Submission
Nuit BlancheIndependent Submission
Journey Through Grief and Healing
UofT Improv Presents: The 5th Annual McGill Drama Festival
Along with awards of merit determined by the Adjudicator, festival participants are competing for the following awards of recognition:
- IATSE Local 58 Award for Technical Achievement
- Donald Sutherland Award for Best Performance
- Robert Gill Award for Best Direction
- Robertson Davies Playwriting Award
- President’s Award for Best Production
- Janet Bessey Award for Excellence in Stage Management
There is one audience choice award per evening, by preferential ballot, at the conclusion of each of the performance evenings.