This section is intended as guidance for students who wish to promote their events using social media.
The truth about most fans and followers is that they “like” and follow many other accounts. They may see hundreds of messages every single day, and don’t necessarily care about every single message you release.
Tip: Be sure to tag us (@HartHouseUofT) in your social media outreach so that we can help you promote your event.
Cut Through the Noise
Make every post worthwhile for your audience:
- Use a unique voice that your audience understands and likes.
- Post at an appropriate time for your audience. Weekday afternoons are great while Friday night or early Saturday morning are less optimal—your audience is more likely to be resting and relaxing than scrolling Twitter! You can pre-schedule to make sure you’re posting between 9 am and 7 pm.
- Use images. (Respect copyright laws.)
- Include appropriate hashtags. (Don’t overuse them.)
- Use a customer service focus. If followers ask a question, answer it promptly. Offer tips, listen and thank them.
- Asks followers to comment and share their stories.
- Tag. Include @harthouseuoft in your posts so we can share them.
Hart House Registered Club Programs & Committee Accounts
Most Clubs and Committees have existing social media accounts already set up for them, however, they might be inactive. We ask that if you change any passwords for existing platforms, store them safely and share them with your Hart House staff advisor.
Please inform staff advisors of your interest before starting new social media accounts. Staff advisors: Please inform Communications before moving forward.
Other Hart House Channels
Twitter & Instagram
- Ambassadors and Hart House Registered Club Program & Committee members can use the @HartHouseStudents Twitter and Instagram accounts. Your staff adviser will provide login credentials and general direction.
- Students may submit queries to become guest bloggers.
- Send your ideas to email@example.com at least three to four weeks prior to the projected publication date.
- Include your topic, sample paragraph to demonstrate your voice, points or areas you plan to cover.
Tag us @HartHouseUofT
- If you tag us, we can share your content with our fans to give your posts wider reach.