Receiving and spending funds is one of the bigger responsibilities faced by Hart House student leaders. In this section you’ll review basic terminology used by the Hart House Finance department, a snapshot of the process by which funds are allocated, and information on dealing with common transactions.

This section is not meant to be exhaustive. Make sure to speak to your program advisor to learn about any financial issues not discussed here.


Invoices document services or goods that have been rendered but have not yet been paid for. The information typically included on invoices are: name of the business; address; invoice #; date; HST #; a list and description of goods/services provided; price of goods/service. The invoice should be addressed to The University of Toronto, Hart House [Your committee/club].
Operating Budget
The detailed list of expenses for projects/events in the current Fiscal Year, approved by the Committee on Budgets.
A proof-of-payment is given by a vendor that provided a good or service. Receipts must be itemized (i.e. list all items purchased, their cost, the total with taxes, etc.). Whenever possible, the original receipt should be provided.
An income (i.e. money raised during a fundraiser/tournament or sale of tickets) deposits into your Registered Club Program or Committee account. Speak to your Staff Advisor to see if this applies to you.

Committee on Budgets (COB) and Financial Responsibilities

What is the Committee on Budgets (COB)?
The Committee on Budgets (COB) is struck every year to hear the budget proposals from Hart House Standing Committees.
Why do we need a budget?
In order to receive funding, Standing Committees must present a detailed budget plan to the COB. Budget preparation and presentation takes place over the course of the summer. The COB will have access to each groups’ previous final financial statements, to ensure that future plans reflect the groups’ previous experiences.
We have unexpected expenses, now what?
If unexpected expensed arise, groups can apply for contingency funding. Contingency funding requests should be made at least two weeks in advance of when the funds are needed through the program advisor. Registered Programs and Standing Committees are encouraged to investigate other sources of funding on campus.

Funding Sources

What other funding sources are available?
Many Hart House Registered Club Programs and committees secure funding from multiple sources, such as the Committee on Budgets administered fund, ticket/fee revenues, donated revenues, or the sale of merchandise. While any of these may be referred to as “fundraising”, in the Hart House context, “fundraising” typically refers to the securing of charitable donations.
Can we accept charitable donations?
A charitable donation can be thought of as a gift of cash, where the donor will not receive any tangible return (e.g. any item or experience with a clear cash value, such as food, merchandise, or event.) In return for their gift, the donor receives a tax-deductible gift receipt (issued by the university).Charitable fundraising can be an effective way to secure critical funds for club or committee activities.
Is there help with fundraising through Hart House?
Hart House has a dedicated team of professional fundraisers on staff who are focused on securing repeat donations in support of the House’s student-focused mission. While they are unable to lead any club or committee’s fundraising campaign, it is strongly recommended that any group considering charitable fundraising consult with Hart House fundraising staff to gain strategic and practical advice. Groups can receive coaching and encouragement, up-to-date best practices, and online giving tools.For any and all charitable fundraising inquiries, or to set a meeting to discuss, please contact Peter Wambera, Associate Director, Advancement, at [email protected] or 416.946.3993.

Dealing with Invoices

The majority of vendors or service providers will issue invoices for purchases made by your group. Instead of paying for invoices out-of-pocket, Hart House makes this process easy and will pay the vendor/service provider directly from your group’s account.

Before submitting any invoices make photocopies for your records.

Other U of T departments

  • If a form is provided by that department, fill it out accordingly and submit the invoice to your Staff Advisor to sign-off, and forward the signed invoice back to the billing department.
  • If no form is provided, email the billing department the CC and CE codes needed to document the services rendered and confirm the cost. Make sure you include your Staff Advisor in the recipients' list.

Businesses/service providers outside U of T

  • Ensure their HST number appears on the invoice
  • Write the proper Cost Centre (CC) and Cost Element (CE) codes directly onto the invoice
  • Submit invoice to your Staff Advisor to sign-off.

Receipts and Reimbursements

What is a reimbursement?

You paid for goods and services for your group with your own money. With an itemized receipt and proof-of-payment (i.e. credit/debit slip) you will be repaid for out-of-pocket expenses.
Before submitting originals for reimbursement, make photocopies of all completed forms and receipts.

Please follow the instructions below:

  • Complete Expense Reimbursement Form, where you will provide your name, address, and reasons for the expenses incurred;
  • Submit your receipt(s) and the completed Expense Reimbursement Form to Staff Advisor for approval; Your advisor will send the form to Finance. 
  • Once your reimbursement is approved and processed, a cheque will be mailed to your address. If specifically requested, the cheque can be picked up at the HUB.
Please Note

When submitting receipts for meals, you must include an itemized receipt and list of individuals. If an itemized receipt is unavailable, you may submit a Missing Receipt Form, along with any debit/credit receipts you may have received. Alcohol purchases will not be reimbursed.

Honorarium and Fees for Services

Someone has cut you a great deal for services and now it’s time to pay their reduced fee. Before submitting originals, make photocopies of all completed forms and invoices.

For Service Providers on contract with Hart House:

  • Speak to your Staff Advisor who will handle the payment.

Other Service Providers:

  • Ask the Service Provider to fill out the Honorarium/Fees for Service form
  • Important! If the Service Provider does not have an HST number, they will also need to fill out the Small Supplier Certification form in addition to the Honorarium/Fees for Service form
  • Submit forms and invoices to your Staff Advisor, who will forward documentation to Finances for processing.

Financial Forms

Please email us for the following forms and documents:

  • Expense Reimbursement Form
  • Missing Receipts Form
  • Cheque Requisition Form
  • Deposit Form