Register now for the 2016/2017 U of T Idol Season
If you have a favourite song, why not sign it for us for a chance to be crowned the next U of T Idol!
Contestants will perform in knock out rounds each month, starting on October 13, 2016. A finale round will take place in March 2017 where a winner will be chosen.
Take your singing to the next level, test drive your vocal chops in front of an audience of your peers! U of T Idol is a singing competition that encourages students to exercise their vocal talent; showcasing songs of your choice, students are cheered on enthusiastically by friends and strangers alike in a fierce but friendly battle of the voice! U of T idol is open to students on all three campuses. Everyone’s a winner for participating but only two contestants will place 1st & 2nd place and win great prizes–will you be the next U of T idol winner?
Registration is mandatory and must be received at least 2 weeks prior to show date.
*Audition may be required. Successful contestants will be contacted.
First Place Prize:
8 hours of studio time courtesy of CIUT, a paid performance at the next U of T Idol finale show, plus other mystery prizes.
Second Place Prize:
$100 cash prize and a paid opening act performance at Hart House Stages.
2016 / 2017 Show Dates:
- Thurs., Oct. 13, 2016 at 8:30 pm
- Thurs., Nov 17, 2016 at 8:30 pm
- Thurs., Jan. 19, 2017 at 8:30 pm
- Thurs., Feb. 9, 2017 at 8:30 pm
- Finale Show: Thurs., March 16, 2017 at 8:30 pm
- Choose your favourite song and perform live in front of a lively audience.Participation is limited to current U of T students at all three campuses
- Contestants must submit their song choice (song must be a cover) and particular version of sheet music.
- Contestants must confirm attendance two weeks prior to their performance date. (Failure to confirm will forfeit contestant participation in upcoming show.)
- Each successful contestant is responsible for providing song choice along with sheet music to Christina, (email@example.com) U of T Idol coordinator and liaison for the Uplifters a minimum of two weeks in advance. Links or files for music charts must be in the correct key. (If there is no chart provided there will be no performance.) We also require the following information:
- Appropriate links or files to the songs.
- A profile photo for the Hart House website
- A short personal biography
Five contestants will be chosen for each performance night along with a waitlist of contestants if necessary who may be contacted to perform should the initial contestants fail to confirm their participation. One contestant will be chosen from each performance night to attend the season finale. The finale will be held on March 16, 2017 — all finalists must attend this performance.
All performances will be filmed. By submitting this form and agreeing to participate in the event, you grant permission to Hart House to use and distribute this film for promotional purposes.
Fill out the registration form below to submit your application.
About The Uplifters
The Uplifters are Jason Kenemy, Michael Herring and Dave Clark from the Woodshed Orchestra. These cats celebrate the deep grooves of R n B, Funk, Calypso, Punk, Jazz, Blues, New Orleans 2nd Line and Pop in a gumbo of original tunes that are made to rock your soul. They are host to guest musician Paul Kolinski of the Silent 5. The Music Committee is excited to welcome the band back for another successful round of at U of T Idol. Thanks for 5 great years of making magic happen!