Hart House’s C&Cs are entrusted with operating budgets with which to create meaningful activities and events for members of the university community. That funding comes from student fees paid by every U of T student. You are, therefore, investing and accounting for those monies on behalf of all students. Financial planning, monitoring and reporting are some of the most valuable life skills you can learn at Hart House, and we are prepared to support that learning. Your Treasurer will lead your committee’s financial undertakings, but the overall responsibility for money resides with the executive committee as a whole. Your Staff advisor must sign off on all expense and revenue paperwork.
- Annual Operating Budget
- Committee on Budgets
- Contingency Fund
- Fundraising Guidelines
- PDF Form Downloads
Quite simply, your budget is your activity plan expressed in numbers. Your plan must “add up” on paper to be viable. As you track your activities and the monies available, your executive may decide to shift funds within a project. You may not, however, shift funds from one project to another. If, out of necessity, more than a $500 shift is required, the Committee on Budgets (CoB) must be consulted in advance via email email@example.com. Hart House C&C budgets are approved on a specific time line that corresponds to the University’s budget process and fiscal year.
This is a subcommittee of the Board of Stewards made up of student representatives whose primary responsibility is to consider C&C funding requests, to allocate annual C&C operating budgets and to set associated policies. Each C&C presents their funding request to the CoB in early April, and final allocations are presented to the Board of Stewards for acceptance. Throughout the year the CoB responds to C&C requests for contingency funding.
If you have an exciting opportunity for a new activity or event, or if an unforeseen expense arises, you may approach the Committee on Budgets for contingency funding. A concise and complete project plan must be submitted to the CoB a minimum of 2 weeks prior to the funds being required. Proposals should be sent via E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition to operational budgets, your group may wish to undertake a fundraising plan to support a special project.
The merits of your fundraising proposals will be evaluated against the following set of goals, which are consistent with the goals of Hart House and the University of Toronto.
- All fundraising initiatives must be verified and approved by the Advancement Office at Hart House.
- Fundraising revenues should provide for enhanced programming; activities such as tournaments and trips [outside of regular annual programming]; and help to promote the long-term viability of House’s programmes and activities.
- Fundraising efforts must be project specific, and are not intended for generating operating funds.
- GL Codes for Clubs & Committees
- Cost Centre and Fund Centre for Clubs & Committees
- Cheque Requisition
- Petty Cash Voucher for Clubs & Committees
- Expense Report for Clubs & Committees
- Missing Receipt
- Professional Fees Payment
- Small Supplier Certification Form
- Deposit Form for Clubs & Committees
- Float Request Form for Clubs & Committees
All forms are available for download above, under PDF Forms.
Where can I find the GL, Fund Centre and Cost Centre codes for my club?
I made purchases on behalf of my club. How can I obtain a reimbursement?
If your purchases total less than $100, use a Petty Cash Voucher. Please bring both this form and your receipt to your Staff Advisor for approval. Once they have signed off, you can submit this form to the Petty Cash Custodians for reimbursements.
If your purchases total more than $100, you can submit an Expense Report for Clubs & Committees along with supporting documentation (i.e., original receipts) to your Staff Advisor for approval. Once they have signed off, you can submit this form to Financial Services for reimbursement.
- All reimbursement requests must be accompanied by original itemized receipts
- If an online purchase was made on your credit card, please submit a copy of the after payment email confirmation
- Credit card statements may accompany online purchases where no original receipt is available
- Canadian equivalents for items purchased in foreign currencies can be obtained by using the following conversion on the date of the purchase: http://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/exchange/10-year-converter/
- Hart House does not process reimbursements for alcohol or alcohol related expenses (e.g., LCBO gift cards)
- All social reimbursements for meetings (not large public social events) must be accompanied by a list of attendees. If there is space, you can list the names on the back of the receipt.
- All gift and prize reimbursements must be accompanied by a list of recipients and an explanation for these gifts/prizes (e.g., Jane Smith, HH Review Gift, Chapters gift card.)
- For travel and accommodation, Hart House requires that you submit all original airfare confirmations, boarding passes and taxi chit and hotel invoices with your reimbursement request.
- If an original receipt has been lost, you must also provide a completed copy of the Missing Receipt form with your reimbursement request.
How do I pay a vendor or a professional for product or services sold to my club? e.g., speaker’s fee, honorarium, performer fee
- If the vendor is a business that ends in “Inc.” or “Ltd.” and they have provided you an invoice with an HST number, please forward this to your Staff Advisor for approval.
- If the vendor is an individual operating under their own name or a business name, please ask them to fill out the Professional Fees Payment and Small Supplier Certification Form form before submitting their invoice to your Staff Advisor for approval.
I submitted my cheque requisition on time, why has it taken so long for me to receive payments?
There are two common reasons for delayed payments:
- The contact information was provided incorrectly. Please make sure to provide both your current mailing address and telephone number on all requisitions. In general, all payments will be mailed.
- Failure to submit your requisitions within Hart House’s weekly cheque run deadline. U of T prints cheques once a week on Wednesday morning. The deadline for submitting your invoices/requisitions to HH Financial Services is the proceeding Friday at 5 pm.
**Please note that it may take longer to receive payments after U of T Holiday closures and in April as U of T undergoes year-end preparation.
How can I get my music deposit refund?
All music refunds are processed at the Hub. You are responsible for returning the music folder in its entirety to your club’s executives and confirming that you are eligible for a refund. At the end of the term, your executives will forward a list of eligible members to the Hub so that debit and credit refunds can be processed. If you originally paid by cash then you can obtain a refund from the Hub. If you have questions about your eligibility, you can speak directly to your club’s executives. May 31, 2014 is the deadline for music refunds.
How do we deposit cash from a club event?
Download a Deposit Form for Clubs & Committees and obtain a brown envelope from the Hub.
Completely fill in both the deposit form and envelope with the denominations on hand and ask a Hub staff to help you verify the count. The staff will then initial on both the form and envelope to confirm that the amount deposited is correct. Please note that there is a separate line on the deposit envelope to record US cash.
Make a copy of both the deposit form and the envelope for your club’s record.
Ask the Hub staff to put the deposit into Box 7 for pick-up by the Financial Department the next business day.
Email your Staff Advisor to let them know that you have submitted this deposit.
Check your club’s Financial statement next month to ensure that the deposit was processed.
How do we deposit cheques from a club event?
Download a Deposit Form for Clubs & Committees and obtain a brown envelope from the Hub.
Completely fill in both the form and the envelope with the total amount to be deposited.
Ask a Hub staff to help you verify the total cheques being deposited and to initial on the Deposit form and envelope.
Make the following copies:
- Deposit form x 1
- Deposit envelope x 1
- All cheques x 2
Keep the Deposit form, envelope and one set of the cheque copies for your club’s record.
Attach the original Deposit form, envelope and one set of the cheque copies together. Ask the Hub staff to put this package into Box 7 for pick-up by Financial Service the next business day.
Email your Staff Advisor to let them know you have submitted this deposit.
Check your club’s Financial Statements the following month to ensure that the deposit was processed.
** In the case that you are depositing both cash and cheques, you can use ONE Deposit form to account for both currencies.
Where can we get copies of our monthly Financial Statements?
Your Staff Advisors can access these reports through their Financial Link program on their desktop. Please request copies of these statements from your Staff Advisors.
How can we fix an error on our Financial Statement?
If you noticed an error in your club account, please let your Staff Advisor know so they can request an adjustment. These corrections will be applied by the end of the month.
How do we obtain a cash float for a weeknight or weekend club event?
Send your Staff Advisor an email with details of the event, date and amount that you wish to have in the float. Your Staff Advisor will prepare a Float Request Form for Clubs & Committees form and submit it to Financial Services. Once you have received confirmation from your Staff Advisor of this submission, you can come by to pick up the float from Financial Services.
Please note that the person who picks up the original float is responsible for its safe return.
When is the deadline for submitting your requisitions and invoices each year?
Hart House’s financial year runs May 1, 2013 to April 30, 2014. You must submit all payment requests to Financial Services by no later than April 4, 2014 so that these expenses can be reflected in your Club’s financial reports. Failure to submit these expenses on time may result in a reduction to your Club’s budget next year, as a portion of it will be used to pay these expenses.
In general, you should submit your requisitions and invoices to your Staff Advisor within one week of incurring those expenses.
What if I have purchased products/services that will be invoiced after April 7, 2014?
If you have purchased products/services that will be invoiced after April 30th, please provide the vendor name, the product/service information and the expected cost to your Staff Advisor by no later than April 7, 2014. Your Staff Advisor will forward this information to Financial Services so the expense can be recorded in the current year.