HH Student Leaders Toolkit: Finances

toolkit_3Receiving and spending funds is one of the bigger responsibilities faced by Hart House student leaders. In this section you’ll review basic terminology used by the Hart House finance department, a snapshot of the process by which funds are allocated, and information on dealing with common transactions.

This section is not meant to be exhaustive. Make sure to speak to your program advisor to learn about any financial issues not discussed here.

<< Back to Toolkit


Operating Budget:

The detailed list of expenses for projects/events in the current Fiscal Year, approved by the Committee of Budgets in September. The budget should total $0 by the end of the year. Additional funds will not typically be available if you run over-budget* and funds will not roll over to the next year if you run under-budget. Each item on your budget (i.e. expense) is organized by a specific code that needs to be included so that Accounting can make sure all expenses are paid.

Cost Centre (CC) Codes:

5 digit codes that indicate which department or project is associated with a transaction/cost. Beginning with ‘H5’ followed by 3 digits, each Club/Committee has multiple CC Codes that represent different activities/projects.

Cost Element (CE) Codes:

Frequently used codes that describe common expenses. They typically are 6 digit codes that begin with ‘8’ (i.e. office supplies 825800; prizes 825800).


A proof-of-payment given by a vendor that provided a good or service. Receipts must be itemized (list all items purchased, their cost, the total with taxes, etc.) If they payment was done by credit or debit, an itemized receipt must be included with the credit/debit slip. Only original receipts are accepted; photocopies will need to be accompanied by a Missing Receipt Form.


Like receipts, invoices document services or goods that have been rendered, but have not yet been paid for. Information included on invoices are: name (of business and/or individual); address; invoice #; date; HST #; a list and description of goods/services provided; price of goods/service.

Honorarium/Fee for Service:

Payment for a service that was given at a reduced rate (usually significantly below market rate). Freelance or pro-bono work would fall under this category.


There are 2 types of deposits, Security and Income. Security deposits correspond to borrowed or rented equipment, and are recouped once the item is returned. An income deposit transfers funds (i.e. money raised during a fundraiser or tournament) into your Club or Committee spending account. Speak to your Staff Advisor to see if this applies to you.


<< Back to Toolkit

Committee on Budgets (COB) and Financial Responsibilities

The Committee on Budgets (COB) is struck every year to hear the budget proposals from Hart House Clubs and Committees. In order to receive funding, clubs and committee must present a detailed budget plan to the COB. Budget preparation takes place over the course of the summer, and presentations to the COB take place in September. The COB will also have access to each groups’ previous final financial statements, to ensure that future plans reflect the groups’ previous experiences.

Once funding has been awarded, clubs and committee are responsible for making sure they adhere to the spending outlined in their COB submissions. Any changes to planned spending that exceed $500 must be approved by your program advisor.

If unexpected expensed arise throughout the year, groups can apply for contingency funding. All contingency funding requests should be made at least two week in advance of when the funds are needed, and done through your program advisor. Clubs and Committees are also encouraged to investigate other sources of funding on campus.

Charitable Fundraising for Clubs & Committees

Many Hart House clubs and committees secure funding from multiple sources, such as the Committee on Budgets administered fund, ticket/fee revenues, donated revenues, or the sale of merchandise. While any of these may be referred to as fundraising, in the Hart House context, fundraising typically refers to the securing of charitable donations.

A charitable donation can be thought of as a gift of cash, where the donor will not receive any tangible return (e.g. any item or experience with a clear cash value, such as food, merchandise, or event.) In return for their gift, the donor receives a tax-deductible gift receipt (issued by the university).

Charitable fundraising can be an effective way to secure critical funds for club or committee activities. The most effective fundraising campaign would be led by the club or committee members and would be directed primarily at their family, friends, colleagues and other interested stakeholders.

Hart House has a dedicated team of professional fundraisers on staff who are focused on securing repeat donations in support of the House’s student-focused mission. While they are unable to lead any club or committee’s fundraising campaign, it is strongly recommended that any group considering charitable fundraising consult with Hart House fundraising staff to gain strategic and practical advice. Groups can receive coaching and encouragement, up-to-date best practices, and online giving tools.

For any and all charitable fundraising inquiries, or to set a meeting to discuss, please contact Peter Wambera, Senior Development Officer, at peter.wambera@utoronto.ca or 416.946.3993.

<< Back to Toolkit

Budget and Planning Resources

<< Back to Toolkit

Dealing with Invoices

The majority of vendors or service providers will issue invoices for purchases made by your group. Instead of paying for invoices out-of-pocket, Hart House makes this process easy and will pay the vendor/service provider directly from your group’s account.

Before submitting any invoices make photocopies for your own records.

  1. For Goods
    -Write the proper Cost Centre (CC) and Cost Element (CE) codes directly onto the invoice
    -Submit invoice to your Staff Advisor to sign-off.
  2. For Services
    (a) Other U of T departments:
    -If a form is provided by that department, fill it out accordingly and submit the invoice to your Staff Advisor to sign-off, and forward the signed invoice back to the billing department.
    -If no form is provided, email the billing department the CC and CE codes needed to document the services rendered and confirm the cost. Make sure you include your Staff Advisor in the recipients list.
    (b) Businesses/service providers outside U of T:
    -Ensure their HST number appears on the invoice
    -Write the proper Cost Centre (CC) and Cost Element (CE) codes directly onto the invoice
    -Submit invoice to your Staff Advisor to sign-off.

<< Back to Toolkit

Receipts and Reimbursements

What is a reimbursement? Sometimes you have to pay for something for your group with your own money. This is where receipts and reimbursement forms become important.

With an itemized receipt and proof-of-payment (i.e. credit/debit slip) you can be repaid for out-of-pocket expenses for your group (i.e. party supplies).

Before submitting originals for reimbursement, make photocopies of all completed forms, receipts and pay slips.

Please follow the instructions below:

-Fill out an Expense Reimbursement form
-Bring your receipt(s) and the completed form to your Staff Advisor for sign-off. Your advisor will send the form to Finance.
– A cheque will be issued and mailed to you with 2-3 weeks.

Please Note: When submitting receipts for meals, you must include an itemized receipt and list of individuals. If an itemized receipt is unavailable, you may submit a Missing Receipt Form, along with any debit/credit receipts you may have received. As always, alcohol purchases cannot be reimbursed.

<< Back to Toolkit

Honorarium and Fees for Services

Someone has cut you a great deal for services and now it’s time to pay their reduced fee.

Before submitting originals, make photocopies of all completed forms and invoices.

  1. For Service Providers on contract with Hart House:
    -Speak to your Staff Advisor who will handle the payment.
  2. Other Service Providers:
    -Ask the Service Provider to fill out the Honorarium/Fees for Service form
    Important! If the Service Provider does not have an HST number, they will also need to fill out the Small Supplier Certification form in addition to the Honorarium/Fees for Service form
    -Submit forms and invoices to your Staff Advisor, who will forward documentation to Finances for processing.

<< Back to Toolkit

PDF Form Downloads

Please open and edit these files in Acrobat.

<< Back to Toolkit