Hart House Campus Life Photo Contest: Call for Submissions
Hart House is seeking candid campus life photos taken by U of T students, staff and faculty, as well as Hart House members. A monthly winner will receive a small prize. The winning entry will be considered for display in the special Hart House 100th Anniversary Campus Life photo exhibit in April 2019.
To participate, follow us on Instagram and share your images using #HartHouse100 and #UofTCampusLife. We will select one every month from September 2018 through April 2019.
See the winning entries (click on each image to view its title and author):
In the early 1950’s, famed photographer Yousef Karsh was a juror for the Hart House Camera Club annual exhibition of photo prints when he noted that many photos were staged. To encourage student photographers to get more creative, and their subjects more candid, he launched the Karsh Trophy for best photo of campus life in 1953. The Hart House Camera Club continues to so honour campus life photos to this day.
- You must be a U of T student, staff and or faculty, or a Hart House member, at the time of your submission. (Winner may be asked to provide proof of their status as a student, faculty, staff, or Hart House member.)
- You must follow us on Instagram to be eligible.
- You must use both hashtags on all your entries.
- You can submit as many photos as you like.
- Your photos must be original.
- Photos can be colour or black and white.
- Photos can be digitally manipulated.
- High-res photos recommended (selected images for the 100th-anniversary exhibit will be printed at 16×20 inches).
U of T Film Festival: Call for Submissions
The Annual U of T Film Festival is accepting short videos of any length, genre and topic. Film/video installation art also welcome. We will look at everything but priority will be given to submissions from University of Toronto students, staff, alumni and members of Hart House.
Deadline for submission: March 15, 2019.
Early submissions encouraged.
How to submit: Fill out the online survey
The U of T Film Festival takes place at Hart House on April 1, 2019.
For more information, contact:
Rick Palidwor, Festival Director: 416.978.5363
Annual Exhibition of Photography: Call for Submissions
The Hart House Camera Club is accepting submissions for the 97th Annual Exhibition of Photography. Submissions are open to all University of Toronto students and Hart House members. For details and submission forms visit the Camera Club website
The deadline for submissions is March 6, 2019.
The exhibition of winning photographs will open with a reception on March 28, 2019.
About the Exhibition:
The Hart House Camera Club has been hosting an annual exhibition of photography for 97 years. Awards are currently presented in nine divisions:
- The A.F. Coventry Award for Black & White prints
- The K.B. Jackson Award for Black & White Prints
- The Hart House Colour Print Award
- The William J. Dowkes Awards for People, Places and Nature
- The W.J. Blackhall Award for Altered Images
- The Yousuf Karsh Award for Campus Life
- The Bev Best Award for Photographic Essay
- The Gerald A. Milne Award for overall achievement
Good Ideas Fund (GIF)
Your good ideas help enhance student life. Tell us about your plan to hold a film screening, conference, exhibit, performance, or other activity and you could be awarded up to $1000 towards making it happen. Or apply for $500 in support for student-initiated experiential learning opportunities. The Good Ideas Fund is open to University of Toronto students.
Talking Walls is a well-travelled space that provides an opportunity for groups and individuals to exhibit socially conscious, thought-provoking art works or documentary images. The exhibition space is open to students, community groups, members of the university community and the public who are interested communicating ideas, asking questions, and creating dialogue around contemporary issues through their work. Talking Walls seeks to build understanding and awareness by giving voice to challenging and engaged works.