There are no postings at this time. Stay tuned for our 2016/2017 Season announcement and following audition notices.
Postings include both production positions that are paid with competitive honorariums to part-time Front of House, ushering or work study positions paid by the hour. Production positions are open to the general public (including U of T students) while Front of House, ushering and/or work study positions are only open to current U of T students.
There are no postings at this time
Join the blend of students and professionals, actors, playwrights, dancers, directors, musicians, and technicians in a unique educational opportunity!
- Opportunities for personal development and confidence building: learn a skill and meet new people.
- Rare university opportunity that allows you to work with other students, alumni, community members, university staff and theatrical industry professionals.
- Work as part of a team towards a larger goal of a high quality theatrical production.
- You will get your name and job title listed in the Hart House Theatre Program.
Assisting Professionals (Time Commitment: 2 – 3 months):
These positions are reserved for current U of T students with experience working on theatrical productions looking to expand their craft by working alongside industry professionals. Interested applicants can forward a resume/CV and statement of interest to the Education and Production Coordinator, Gillian Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org. The number of hours for each of these positions will be determined by their direct supervisor.
Not all positions are offered for each Production. Potential positions available are as follows:
- Assistant Director
- Assistant Dramaturg
- Assistant Musical Director
- Assistant Technical Director – a valid driver’s license is required for interested candidates.
- Assistant Designers (for either: Costumes, Set, Props, Lighting, Sound, Video)
- Assistant Stage Manager
Short Term Design Opportunities (Time Commitment: 2-4 weeks):
- Head Painter – work directly with Set Designer and Technical Director. Instructs volunteer painters on the techniques and lead the work calls.
- Set Build Leaders – work directly with the Set Designer and Technical Director. Instructs volunteer set build crew on the techniques and lead the work calls.
- Wardrobe Build Crew – work directly with the Costume Designer to build, alter and repair costumes for the production. Machine and hand sewing skills required.
Outreach Opportunities (Time Commitment: 2-4 weeks per production)
- Marketing / Outreach / Audience Development – assist the Theatre’s marketing team with promoting productions around campus and in the community as a whole, including: classroom visits, promotional events and surveys with audience members in the lobby before and after performances.
Running Crew Positions (Time Commitment: 2-4 weeks):
- Lighting Board Operator – work directly with Stage Manager and Head Technician. Test equipment before shows; operate lighting cues during the performances.
- Sound/Video Operator – work directly with Stage Manager and Head Technician. Test equipment before shows; operate sound/video cues during the performances.
- Backstage Running Crew – work directly with Assistant Stage Managers, Head Technician and Cast. Assist with scene changes, curtain operation and any other effects run from backstage.
- Wardrobe Running Crew – work directly with Assistant Stage Managers, Head Technician and Cast. Assist with costume changes, wardrobe repairs and laundry.
Production Assistants (Minimal Time Commitments/any number of hours):
Production Assistant is a broad term meaning general labour who participates in a specific task or many tasks to contribute to the labour requirements for the show. This might include, but is not limited to:
DON’T SEE ANYTHING THAT INTERESTS YOU? Contact us to discuss other ways to get involved!
For more information on Hart House Theatre, volunteer opportunities, frequently asked questions and theatrical terms, please click here to download a PDF version of the Volunteer Information Package.
For a season overview of when we may require each position, please click here to download a PDF version of the Calendar Dates for Volunteers.
If you are interested in volunteering at Hart House Theatre, please contact:
Education and Production Coordinator
Hart House Theatre