Thank you to all of those who submitted their credentials for casting consideration in Heathers: The Musical. Those selected for audition will be contacted directly for scheduling. break legs!
Postings include both production positions that are paid with competitive honorariums to part-time Front of House, ushering or work study positions paid by the hour. Production positions are open to the general public (including U of T students) while Front of House, ushering and/or work study positions are only open to current U of T students.
Hart House Theatre is looking for a Technical Coordinator for the upcoming 2018/2019 season. This is a casual contract position for a temporary position vacancy. The contract will be a minimum 6 months with an option for additional time if needed.
Application deadline: June 15, 2018
More information including necessary qualifications, application process and pay scale can be found here >>
Join the blend of students and professionals, actors, playwrights, dancers, directors, musicians and technicians in a unique educational opportunity!
- Opportunities for personal development and confidence building: learn a skill and meet new people.
- Rare university opportunity that allows you to work with other students, alumni, community members, university staff and theatrical industry professionals.
- Work as part of a team towards a larger goal of a high quality theatrical production.
- You will get your name and job title listed in the Hart House Theatre Program.
Assisting Professionals (Time Commitment: 2 – 3 months):
These positions are reserved for current U of T students with experience working on theatrical productions looking to expand their craft by working alongside industry professionals. Interested applicants can forward a resume/CV and statement of interest to the Education and Production Coordinator, Gillian Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org. The number of hours for each of these positions will be determined by their direct supervisor.
Not all positions are offered for each Production. Potential positions available are as follows:
- Assistant Director
- Assistant Dramaturg
- Assistant Musical Director
- Assistant Technical Director – a valid driver’s license is required for interested candidates.
- Assistant Designers (for either: Costumes, Set, Props, Lighting, Sound, Video)
- Assistant Stage Manager
Short Term Design Opportunities (Time Commitment: 2-4 weeks):
- Head Painter – work directly with Set Designer and Technical Director. Instructs volunteer painters on the techniques and lead the work calls.
- Set Build Leaders – work directly with the Set Designer and Technical Director. Instructs volunteer set build crew on the techniques and lead the work calls.
- Wardrobe Build Crew – work directly with the Costume Designer to build, alter and repair costumes for the production. Machine and hand sewing skills required.
Outreach Opportunities (Time Commitment: 2-4 weeks per production)
- Marketing / Outreach / Audience Development – assist the Theatre’s marketing team with promoting productions around campus and in the community as a whole, including: classroom visits, promotional events and surveys with audience members in the lobby before and after performances.
Running Crew Positions (Time Commitment: 2-4 weeks):
- Lighting Board Operator – work directly with Stage Manager and Head Technician. Test equipment before shows; operate lighting cues during the performances.
- Sound/Video Operator – work directly with Stage Manager and Head Technician. Test equipment before shows; operate sound/video cues during the performances.
- Backstage Running Crew – work directly with Assistant Stage Managers, Head Technician and Cast. Assist with scene changes, curtain operation and any other effects run from backstage.
- Wardrobe Running Crew – work directly with Assistant Stage Managers, Head Technician and Cast. Assist with costume changes, wardrobe repairs and laundry.
Production Assistants (Minimal Time Commitments/any number of hours):
Production Assistant is a broad term meaning general labour who participates in a specific task or many tasks to contribute to the labour requirements for the show. This might include, but is not limited to:
DON’T SEE ANYTHING THAT INTERESTS YOU? Contact us to discuss other ways to get involved!
- To download a PDF version of the Volunteer Information Package, please click here. This document includes more information on Hart House Theatre, Volunteer Opportunities and Frequently asked Questions
- To download a PDF version of Job Descriptions and Theatrical Terms, please click here. This is a resource document for anyone interested in learning more about the staff structure and Theatrical terminology.
- To download a PDF version of the Calendar Dates for Volunteers, please click here. This document gives volunteers a season overview of when we may require each position.
If you are interested in volunteering at Hart House Theatre, please contact:
Education and Production Coordinator
Hart House Theatre