Hart House Theatre holds auditions for all four of its season shows. Audition notices and calls for submission are distributed through community partners and posted here. Opportunities are not exclusive to the U of T community; any non-union performer may submit their credentials. Postings are generally distributed between the months of June and October.
Hart House Theatre is now accepting submissions for
Deadline for Submissions: Thursday, August 8, 2019 – early submissions are encouraged.
Non-union (ACTRA or Equity), Non-paying
Those contacted for auditions will be seen the week beginning August 11, with callbacks taking place the week of August 26. Only those contacted for an audition will be seen.
Performance run: November 15 – 30, 2019
Rehearsals will take place Tuesday – Thursday evening, and Sunday full day, beginning September 29.
Please send headshots, resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include PJC SUBMISSION in your email subject line.
The creative team behind Portia’s Julius Caesar is committed to decolonizing the classical canon and bringing marginalized voices to the centre. Therefore, BIPOC artists will be prioritized. Artists of all ethnic, cultural, sexual and gender identities are strongly encouraged to submit.
Audition Requirements:Actors are asked to please prepare two (2) Shakespearean monologues, each less than 90 seconds. Actors should be prepared to receive re-direction.
It is recommended that actors familiarize themselves with the characters and material in the play.
A power-broker. Mother to Brutus. 40+ years of age.
JURTHA & CECILIA & VERA & ESTHER
Four washerwomen, servants to wealthy homes in Rome. Actors with comedic skills are encouraged to submit. They originate from other points of the Roman Empire. Please note: male-identifying actors are welcome to play these roles, and these roles may be double cast with other parts. Age range: all.
Best friend to Portia and wife to Caesar. She is a determined and principled person who is struggling to become pregnant. Age range late 20s to 30s.
Husband of Calpurnia and great general of Rome, who has recently won a civil war against Pompey and returns to Rome in triumph. 40+ years of age.
Caesar’s closest companion. A young man much given to revelling, he enjoys music and plays and has a serious ambitious streak in him. Age range 20s.
Husband of Portia, son of Servilia, and considered a noble Roman, descended from the Brutus who liberated Rome from the tyrannical monarchy of the Tarquins. A senator and a new Father. Age range late 20s to 30s.
Son in law of Servilia, married to Brutus’ sister. A senator discontent with Caesar’s ambition. Age range late 20s to 30s.
A powerful mystic in Rome. Warns Caesar of his fall, but is unheard. Age range: 30s
A sex-worker in Rome. Joins forces with the conspirators to bring democracy to Rome. Age range: late 20s to 30s.
The Queen of Egypt. Age range 20s.
Postings include both production positions that are paid with competitive honorariums to part-time Front of House, ushering or work study positions paid by the hour. Production positions are open to the general public (including U of T students) while Front of House, ushering and/or work study positions are only open to current U of T students.
There are no postings at this time
Join the blend of students and professionals, actors, playwrights, dancers, directors, musicians and technicians in a unique educational opportunity!
- Opportunities for personal development and confidence building: learn a skill and meet new people.
- Rare university opportunity that allows you to work with other students, alumni, community members, university staff and theatrical industry professionals.
- Work as part of a team towards a larger goal of a high quality theatrical production.
- You will get your name and job title listed in the Hart House Theatre Program.
Assisting Professionals (Time Commitment: 2 – 3 months):
These positions are reserved for current U of T students with experience working on theatrical productions looking to expand their craft by working alongside industry professionals. Interested applicants can forward a resume/CV and statement of interest to the Education and Production Coordinator, Gillian Lewis at email@example.com. The number of hours for each of these positions will be determined by their direct supervisor.
Not all positions are offered for each Production. Potential positions available are as follows:
- Assistant Director
- Assistant Dramaturg
- Assistant Musical Director
- Assistant Technical Director – a valid driver’s license is required for interested candidates.
- Assistant Designers (for either: Costumes, Set, Props, Lighting, Sound, Video)
- Assistant Stage Manager
Short Term Design Opportunities (Time Commitment: 2-4 weeks):
- Head Painter – work directly with Set Designer and Technical Director. Instructs volunteer painters on the techniques and lead the work calls.
- Set Build Leaders – work directly with the Set Designer and Technical Director. Instructs volunteer set build crew on the techniques and lead the work calls.
- Wardrobe Build Crew – work directly with the Costume Designer to build, alter and repair costumes for the production. Machine and hand sewing skills required.
Outreach Opportunities (Time Commitment: 2-4 weeks per production)
- Marketing / Outreach / Audience Development – assist the Theatre’s marketing team with promoting productions around campus and in the community as a whole, including: classroom visits, promotional events and surveys with audience members in the lobby before and after performances.
Running Crew Positions (Time Commitment: 2-4 weeks):
- Lighting Board Operator – work directly with Stage Manager and Head Technician. Test equipment before shows; operate lighting cues during the performances.
- Sound/Video Operator – work directly with Stage Manager and Head Technician. Test equipment before shows; operate sound/video cues during the performances.
- Backstage Running Crew – work directly with Assistant Stage Managers, Head Technician and Cast. Assist with scene changes, curtain operation and any other effects run from backstage.
- Wardrobe Running Crew – work directly with Assistant Stage Managers, Head Technician and Cast. Assist with costume changes, wardrobe repairs and laundry.
Production Assistants (Minimal Time Commitments/any number of hours):
Production Assistant is a broad term meaning general labour who participates in a specific task or many tasks to contribute to the labour requirements for the show. This might include, but is not limited to:
DON’T SEE ANYTHING THAT INTERESTS YOU? Contact us to discuss other ways to get involved!
- To download a PDF version of the Volunteer Information Package, please click here. This document includes more information on Hart House Theatre, Volunteer Opportunities and Frequently asked Questions
- To download a PDF version of Job Descriptions and Theatrical Terms, please click here. This is a resource document for anyone interested in learning more about the staff structure and Theatrical terminology.
- To download a PDF version of the Calendar Dates for Volunteers, please click here. This document gives volunteers a season overview of when we may require each position.
If you are interested in volunteering at Hart House Theatre, please contact:
Education and Production Coordinator
Hart House Theatre