Hart House Theatre holds auditions for all four of its season shows. Audition notices and calls for submission are distributed through community partners and posted here. Opportunities are not exclusive to the U of T community; any non-union performer may submit their credentials. Postings are generally distributed between the months of June and October.
Hart House Theatre is now accepting submissions for
By Richard O’Brien
Directed by Jennifer Walls
Deadline for Submissions: Thursday, June 13, 2019 – early submissions are encouraged.
Non-union (ACTRA or Equity), Non-paying
Those contacted for auditions will be seen the week beginning June 17, with callbacks taking place the following week. Only those contacted for an audition will be seen.
Performance run: September 27-October 12, 2019
Please send headshots, resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include ROCKY SUBMISSION in your email subject line.
WARNING: the show contains mature content, sexual scenes, partial nudity and some violent content.
Artists of all ethnic, cultural, sexual and gender identities are strongly encouraged to submit.
Audition Requirements: Actors are asked to prepare two contrasting songs (approximately 1-2 minutes). One song should be from the contemporary Musical Theatre genre; the other should be pop/rock and does not need to be from the Musical Theatre canon. At least one of the songs should showcase acting ability. Actors are expected to bring sheet music for their song in the correct key. A capella auditions are strongly discouraged. An accompanist will be provided. It is recommended that actors familiarize themselves with the characters and material in the play.
Postings include both production positions that are paid with competitive honorariums to part-time Front of House, ushering or work study positions paid by the hour. Production positions are open to the general public (including U of T students) while Front of House, ushering and/or work study positions are only open to current U of T students.
There are no postings at this time
Join the blend of students and professionals, actors, playwrights, dancers, directors, musicians and technicians in a unique educational opportunity!
- Opportunities for personal development and confidence building: learn a skill and meet new people.
- Rare university opportunity that allows you to work with other students, alumni, community members, university staff and theatrical industry professionals.
- Work as part of a team towards a larger goal of a high quality theatrical production.
- You will get your name and job title listed in the Hart House Theatre Program.
Assisting Professionals (Time Commitment: 2 – 3 months):
These positions are reserved for current U of T students with experience working on theatrical productions looking to expand their craft by working alongside industry professionals. Interested applicants can forward a resume/CV and statement of interest to the Education and Production Coordinator, Gillian Lewis at email@example.com. The number of hours for each of these positions will be determined by their direct supervisor.
Not all positions are offered for each Production. Potential positions available are as follows:
- Assistant Director
- Assistant Dramaturg
- Assistant Musical Director
- Assistant Technical Director – a valid driver’s license is required for interested candidates.
- Assistant Designers (for either: Costumes, Set, Props, Lighting, Sound, Video)
- Assistant Stage Manager
Short Term Design Opportunities (Time Commitment: 2-4 weeks):
- Head Painter – work directly with Set Designer and Technical Director. Instructs volunteer painters on the techniques and lead the work calls.
- Set Build Leaders – work directly with the Set Designer and Technical Director. Instructs volunteer set build crew on the techniques and lead the work calls.
- Wardrobe Build Crew – work directly with the Costume Designer to build, alter and repair costumes for the production. Machine and hand sewing skills required.
Outreach Opportunities (Time Commitment: 2-4 weeks per production)
- Marketing / Outreach / Audience Development – assist the Theatre’s marketing team with promoting productions around campus and in the community as a whole, including: classroom visits, promotional events and surveys with audience members in the lobby before and after performances.
Running Crew Positions (Time Commitment: 2-4 weeks):
- Lighting Board Operator – work directly with Stage Manager and Head Technician. Test equipment before shows; operate lighting cues during the performances.
- Sound/Video Operator – work directly with Stage Manager and Head Technician. Test equipment before shows; operate sound/video cues during the performances.
- Backstage Running Crew – work directly with Assistant Stage Managers, Head Technician and Cast. Assist with scene changes, curtain operation and any other effects run from backstage.
- Wardrobe Running Crew – work directly with Assistant Stage Managers, Head Technician and Cast. Assist with costume changes, wardrobe repairs and laundry.
Production Assistants (Minimal Time Commitments/any number of hours):
Production Assistant is a broad term meaning general labour who participates in a specific task or many tasks to contribute to the labour requirements for the show. This might include, but is not limited to:
DON’T SEE ANYTHING THAT INTERESTS YOU? Contact us to discuss other ways to get involved!
- To download a PDF version of the Volunteer Information Package, please click here. This document includes more information on Hart House Theatre, Volunteer Opportunities and Frequently asked Questions
- To download a PDF version of Job Descriptions and Theatrical Terms, please click here. This is a resource document for anyone interested in learning more about the staff structure and Theatrical terminology.
- To download a PDF version of the Calendar Dates for Volunteers, please click here. This document gives volunteers a season overview of when we may require each position.
If you are interested in volunteering at Hart House Theatre, please contact:
Education and Production Coordinator
Hart House Theatre