Hart House Theatre is now accepting submissions for
Book and Lyrics by Gerome Ragni and James Rado
Music by Galt MacDermot
Directed by Julie Tomaino
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: Thursday, October 18, 2018 – early submissions are encouraged.
Non-union (ACTRA or Equity), Non-paying. Artists of all ethnic, cultural, sexual and gender identities are strongly encouraged to submit.
Those contacted for auditions will be seen the week beginning October 21, with callbacks the next week. Only those contacted for an audition will be seen. Rehearsals will begin the week of November 11, 2018.
Performance run: January 18 – February 2, 2019
Please send headshots, resumes to email@example.com. Be sure to include HAIR SUBMISSION in your email subject line.
AUDITION REQUIREMENTS: Actors are asked to prepare two contrasting songs (approximately 1-2 minutes) though, if needed, they may be asked to perform only one. One song should be from the contemporary Musical Theatre genre; the other should be pop/rock and does not need to be from the Musical Theatre canon. At least one of the songs should showcase acting ability. Actors are expected to bring sheet music for their songs in the correct key. A capella auditions are strongly discouraged. An accompanist will be provided. It is recommended that actors familiarize themselves with the characters and material in the play.
NOTE: this show has a history of containing nudity. Through the rehearsal process, this production will explore the possibility us using nudity in performance only with the express consent of the artists involved.
Postings include both production positions that are paid with competitive honorariums to part-time Front of House, ushering or work study positions paid by the hour. Production positions are open to the general public (including U of T students) while Front of House, ushering and/or work study positions are only open to current U of T students.
Hart House Theatre is looking for a Technical Coordinator for the upcoming 2018/2019 season. This is a casual contract position for a temporary position vacancy. The contract will be a minimum 6 months with an option for additional time if needed.
Application deadline: June 15, 2018
More information including necessary qualifications, application process and pay scale can be found here >>
Join the blend of students and professionals, actors, playwrights, dancers, directors, musicians and technicians in a unique educational opportunity!
- Opportunities for personal development and confidence building: learn a skill and meet new people.
- Rare university opportunity that allows you to work with other students, alumni, community members, university staff and theatrical industry professionals.
- Work as part of a team towards a larger goal of a high quality theatrical production.
- You will get your name and job title listed in the Hart House Theatre Program.
Assisting Professionals (Time Commitment: 2 – 3 months):
These positions are reserved for current U of T students with experience working on theatrical productions looking to expand their craft by working alongside industry professionals. Interested applicants can forward a resume/CV and statement of interest to the Education and Production Coordinator, Gillian Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org. The number of hours for each of these positions will be determined by their direct supervisor.
Not all positions are offered for each Production. Potential positions available are as follows:
- Assistant Director
- Assistant Dramaturg
- Assistant Musical Director
- Assistant Technical Director – a valid driver’s license is required for interested candidates.
- Assistant Designers (for either: Costumes, Set, Props, Lighting, Sound, Video)
- Assistant Stage Manager
Short Term Design Opportunities (Time Commitment: 2-4 weeks):
- Head Painter – work directly with Set Designer and Technical Director. Instructs volunteer painters on the techniques and lead the work calls.
- Set Build Leaders – work directly with the Set Designer and Technical Director. Instructs volunteer set build crew on the techniques and lead the work calls.
- Wardrobe Build Crew – work directly with the Costume Designer to build, alter and repair costumes for the production. Machine and hand sewing skills required.
Outreach Opportunities (Time Commitment: 2-4 weeks per production)
- Marketing / Outreach / Audience Development – assist the Theatre’s marketing team with promoting productions around campus and in the community as a whole, including: classroom visits, promotional events and surveys with audience members in the lobby before and after performances.
Running Crew Positions (Time Commitment: 2-4 weeks):
- Lighting Board Operator – work directly with Stage Manager and Head Technician. Test equipment before shows; operate lighting cues during the performances.
- Sound/Video Operator – work directly with Stage Manager and Head Technician. Test equipment before shows; operate sound/video cues during the performances.
- Backstage Running Crew – work directly with Assistant Stage Managers, Head Technician and Cast. Assist with scene changes, curtain operation and any other effects run from backstage.
- Wardrobe Running Crew – work directly with Assistant Stage Managers, Head Technician and Cast. Assist with costume changes, wardrobe repairs and laundry.
Production Assistants (Minimal Time Commitments/any number of hours):
Production Assistant is a broad term meaning general labour who participates in a specific task or many tasks to contribute to the labour requirements for the show. This might include, but is not limited to:
DON’T SEE ANYTHING THAT INTERESTS YOU? Contact us to discuss other ways to get involved!
- To download a PDF version of the Volunteer Information Package, please click here. This document includes more information on Hart House Theatre, Volunteer Opportunities and Frequently asked Questions
- To download a PDF version of Job Descriptions and Theatrical Terms, please click here. This is a resource document for anyone interested in learning more about the staff structure and Theatrical terminology.
- To download a PDF version of the Calendar Dates for Volunteers, please click here. This document gives volunteers a season overview of when we may require each position.
If you are interested in volunteering at Hart House Theatre, please contact:
Education and Production Coordinator
Hart House Theatre