Details: Join us for Worlds AIDS Day, a multidisciplinary event to raise awareness around the social implications of AIDS. All are welcome to attend and glean new insights from experts in the field, interactive displays by local NGOs, as well as special performances by musicians and dance groups.
Presented in partnership with the Hart House Social Justice Committee, the event is free, with all proceeds and donations benefiting the Theresa Group, Canada’s oldest community-based charitable organization serving children and families affected by HIV and AIDS.
When: Tues., Dec. 1, from 5:30–8 pm
Where: Great Hall, Hart House
Cost: Free / Register online >>
For more info and a full list of partners, go to: www.worldaidsdayuoft.com
- 5:30 pm: Reception with light refreshments, NGO fair and networking opportunities
- 6 pm: Opening remarks
- 6:15 pm: Speakers and Performers
- 8 pm: Closing remarks
- Dr. Philip Berger: Associate Professor in the Department of
Family and Community Medicine and Medical Director of St.
Michael’s Hospital’s Inner City Health Program
- Alison Symington: Co-Director of Research & Advocacy at the
Canadian HIV/AIDS Legal Network
- Dr. Ann Stewart: Medical Director of Casey House (Canada’s
first freestanding HIV/AIDS facility)
- Dr. Sumeet Sodhi: Dignitas International Senior Scientist
focused on developing and evaluating knowledge translation
tools to support health care work in clinical management of
HIV/AIDS and primary care conditions
- Muluba Habanyama: CANFAR Youth Ambassador
- Nicci Stein: Executive Director of Teresa Group (a community-
based charitable organization specifically serving children
affected by HIV and AIDS and their families)
This event is proudly hosted by UTIHP Global Health Engage.
Features of University of Toronto World AIDS Day:
- CN Tower and University College will be lit red in solidarity with the red campaign
- Carillon Bells at the Hart House Soldiers’ Tower
- NGO Fair: Teresa Group, UNICEF (UofT), Dignitas (UofT), CANFAR, Canadian Coalition for Global Health Research Student Chapter (UTCCGHRSC) (UofT)
- Distinguished speakers in the fields of AIDS research
- Musical performances
- Complimentary food and refreshments